Brasil Abaixo de Zero

Maritimes (Canada)

maritimesbob

Bob

First of all, welcome to our forum.

Your region fascinates me due to tropical cyclone activity in the NAO that affects the Maritimes. Recently, you were hit by Noel. Your photos are astonishing. And it is just the beginning. As we know, the Environment Canada is forecasting the harshest winter since 1994. By the way, I was reading the follwing report yesterday:

Early seasosn arctic cold brought heavy snows this past few days across the north, setting records in places. The CBC reports the ”Montreal cleanup underway after record early snowfall”. A record 31.6 centimetres (12 inches) of snow fell on Montreal Monday, more than double the previous Dec. 3 record of 14 centimetres, and it will take a week to clean up. More than 3,000 workers hit the streets of the city Tuesday morning to start clearing away the snow, which continues to fall. Environment Canada predicts another two centimetres for Tuesday. The city has already spent more than $1 million coping with its first major storm of the season, and it’s estimated it will cost $17 million by the time the cleanup is completed.

Further to the south and east, Portland, Maine tied a record for the date set in 1890 Monday when 8.5 inches fell. Elsewhere, Marshfield in Washington County had 18 inches of snow, Lakeville in Penobscot County 17 inches, Island Falls in Aroostook County 16, Brassau Lake near Moosehead 15.7, Farmington 14.7 inches and Andover 13, the weather service said.

To the west in North Dakota, The National Weather Service says the Grand Forks airport had 8.1 inches of snow yesterday, setting a record for the date. And Fargo set a record with 5.9 inches. The previous mark in both cities was set back in 1926. Grand Forks and Fargo also had record snowfall last Saturday.

Hello there,

Actually I was a member here several years ago, but I forgot my username and figured it easier just to re-register. So it`s more a case of welcome back I guess! Thank you for the welcome however :)

Yeah, we certainly get pretty much every kind of weather here. Blizzards and cold during the winter, thunderstorms and even twisters in the summer, and the chance of a tropical system in the fall. It doesn`t get much more diverse!

The last two winters have been dreadfully mild here. It killed a lot of local businesses that rely on the snow, many went bankrupt. Hopefully this year will make up for it.

My apologies for the lack of Portuguese, your English is perfect by the way :)

Tks Bob !

I was checking the latest daily runs of the GCMs (Global Climate Models) and the majority of the solutions point to a long and lasting winter in Canada. My idea is that western Canada will me much colder than the eastern portion of the country. Please update us with your valuable information regarding the Canadian winter. Your messages will be very welcome.

Alexandre

One of my aunts lives in Halifax, this area has a really fantastic weather, with nearly all the sort of weather phenomena!

In 2003 Halifax got a direct hit from Hurricane Juan, and in february 2004 there was a major snowstorm (the worst on record for that area) which was dubbed "White Juan", it totally paralyzed the city for days!

That's what i call active weather, she is very lucky (i belive...) to live there, through it's not common to have two events of this magnitude separated by less than 1 year.

Very beautiful pictures!! You must know we love cold weather, and these pictures are a dream for us!!

In 2003 Halifax got a direct hit from Hurricane Juan, and in february 2004 there was a major snowstorm (the worst on record for that area) which was dubbed "White Juan", it totally paralyzed the city for days!

I´ve a friend that lived in Halifax till one month before Hurricane Juan. She was lucky, ´cause much of the city got in the dark for many days after the storm.